New Start - Roarin' Lion Quilt!

Hi everyone, 
Dave and I are off to Ireland and England for three weeks; but before I go I wanted to make my grand-nephew, Rory, a baby quilt.
I thought lions would be appropriate as his name is Rory.

Having never made a three yard quilt before I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity. 

A lady on Facebook posted a picture of her quilt and 
the link to find the free pattern.  
It is called Twin Star Quilt by Caroline at SewCanShe.com.
Caroline has an in-depth tutorial with all the instructions on her website.



I found the website and set up my iPad
 on the kitchen counter where I often cut fabric.


Hmmmmm......
It seems I bought more than one yard of the focus fabric.
I can't remember what I was thinking - 
perhaps binding or backing?


The focus fabric is called Cocos Wildlife 
and it is a Danish Design by Stoffabrics.


Chain sewing the first triangles....


Nicely pressed and ready to be put together.


I have a pad of paper taped to my sewing machine 
to help with the ¼ inch seams.


Hmmmm....
So much for the perfect 1/4 inch seam.
Lots of trimming was needed to make the blocks 4½ inches square.


This is a great pattern.
No need to match a lot of seams.


Coming together beautifully.


Sewing the brown border on.


This is my set up in the garage.
I've added four ½" x 6" x 12' boards to extend the width of the table.  



Spray basting makes the layering go quickly.
Dave, as always, was a great help.

 

All quilted...
time to trim off the excess.


When making the binding I didn't join the pieces with a straight seam;
I butted the two pieces together and sewed on the diagonal.
I forgot how much extra fabric this way takes.


Looks like a lot of binding.  
But is it enough?


No!!!!!

I was short by about 6 inches.
Luckily I had lots of extra fabric.

Ta Da!!!

_________________

And a few pictures of Goldenrod from my walk.
Who knew so many insects lived on one plant?





And last but not least...
hexies everywhere.


______________________

My husband, Dave, added the following 
after helping me add the pictures as a block rather than individually to this post:

"My husband is the best. 
He is very patient because I am not good with computers. 
Sometimes I yell at him and he does not deserve it."



I hope you are enjoying the lovely September weather.
Ireland here we come!

Bye for now,
Quiltingly yours,
Pam






Comments

  1. Well done Pam.
    Beautiful baby quilt- Rory will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pam,
    I know you are a pro in quilting, but the quilt takes the cake. Bravo👏. Enjoy your trip to Ireland. Let's meet up when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like your husband is a real saint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Pam. Hope you have a wonderful trip. We'll miss you at Crieff! Judy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts