Did someone say “Mystery Quilt ?”

I do realize that this blog is supposed to be about finishing quilts and I only seem to be starting them, but I get so excited!  


Luscious fabrics and new patterns - or in this case, a Mystery Quilt Along with the clues doled out one by one, day by day for  two short weeks. 

Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts posted a new Mystery Quilt 2022 on her Blog. (I haven’t finished last year’s or 2020s either)

But first I had to get ready…
     Clean my machine and change needle 

Before



New thread, freshly wound bobbin


     New blade in my rotary cutter 


     And a NEW RULER. Not just any ruler, but a very special Edyta Sitar Alaska Ruler made by Creative Grids. My darling David went to two quilt stores to track it down. He purchased it at Quilt Thyme in Kingston. 


Finally ready to start…


And as Edyta says, “I’m sew excited!”

Clue 1 - Cut 48 triangles.


That’s a lot of triangles.


Clue 2 - 16 small triangles sewn to bigger pieces to make big triangles. 
I love the flowers. They really pop and make this a spring quilt. 


You can really see the contrast here. 


Clue 3 - A little too complicated. 
I’ll come back to it later. 


Decisions. Decisions. 

A large part of my hesitation involved fabric choice. I’m always second guessing myself.


 Is this the right shade? Is it too dark? Too light?  


Clue 4 - hmmm… I did make it but don’t seem to have taken a picture. 

Clue 5 - small triangle sewn to the side of most of a bigger triangle to make a normal size triangle. 
It looked easy. 



Make 16.


Clue 6 - Nope.  Haven’t tackled it yet. 

Week 2

Clue 7 - Easy peasy you say….it’s just like Clue 2.  Huh!! Nope!!!  

I chose colours and even cut the block out- but I didn’t sew it. 
What if…what if the dark isn’t dark enough? What if the light isn’t light enough? What if there isn’t enough contrast?


Clue 9 - Just like Clue 3…
but this time I made a decision and made the block. 
Lots of little triangles chain pieced. 


Isn’t it beautiful?  I just love it. 


I am so lucky I have such a variety of spring greens to choose from. 

But sometimes the question is whether I have enough of any one fabric as I am using my stash - meaning I haven’t purchased any new material for this specific quilt. 


I am obviously not finished yet but am still loving it. 
Quilting is often more about the journey than anything else. 

First flower of spring. 

Comments

  1. I know just what you mean - it can be quite a push to get things finished and new things keep coming to the fore. I am about to start a mystery quilt too, the basis is light and dark. I have got a single fabric greyish aubergine and bits of pinkish pastel mostly Westminster fabric lights all in a bag which has been on the floor of my sewing room for two years as we planned to start in March 2020 and are only just getting together again now. The design has been planned by another of the four of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Mystery Quilt sounds like fun. Good luck!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts