Skip to main content

Hexies everywhere...

Hi everyone, welcome back to 
finishing the unfinished quilts blog. 

I hope you all had a great August.
I have been busy sewing and gardening or rather weeding.

While out to lunch one day I looked down at the floor.
What did I see?
Hexies!

So of course I whipped out my WIP (work in progress) that I carry with me in my purse at all times and snapped a quick picture. 


Pretty isn't it.



There is quite a lot of prep work.


Many moving parts.


Oops... I wasn't paying attention and made a mistake or two.
A little unpicking and resewing was necessary.


The center is coming together slowly.

I won't be finished anytime soon, but I am enjoying the process.

______________

This lovely dog quilt was begun a few months ago when 
Pat Sloan was making one as a sew-a-long.
She used Stacy Iest-Hsu's pattern - All Wrapped Up. 
You can download it from the Fat Quarter Shop as a PDF.

I decided not to patch the sweater but to make mine reminiscent of the famous book  by Gene Zion called "No Roses for Harry".  It was beautifully illustrated by Margaret Bloy Graham.  
In the children's book, Harry the Dirty Dog sports a beautiful handknit sweater with roses that he doesn't like.  
He spends most of the book trying to lose his sweater.


I call my quilt Waldi's Sweater after my friend Christine's first dachshund.

I haven't finished the quilt yet, but I did break down and have it long armed 
quilted by my friend Norah of Sew Little Time Quilts  in Cambridge, Ontario. 
She did a beautiful job.  

Actually she did three more... but I will post pictures of them once I have cut the binding, ironed the binding and sewed it on - back and front.
Don't hold your breathe.
________

You probably don't realize that the pink hexie quilt is made out of the leftovers from another quilt...
unfinished of course.
The first pink and white quilt pattern is from Pinterest.

Jodie The Impatient Quilter of Joz Makes Quilts gives a tutorial on her
Blue and White Quilt which I followed.

Jodie made her quilt in a weekend to give to her sister.  
Mine is in many pieces.
Obviously deadlines work!

I used a white sheet and pink $5 material from Fabricland in Kingston.


Working in garage.

You can see the sheet edges.


The sheet frayed a lot...



Chain piecing the blocks.



Ironing in the messy sewing studio.



The rows coming together.

Not finished yet.

________________

A few pink/purple flowers to brighten your day ...





and that's it folks until next time.

Please take a minute and leave a comment. 

Have fun and keep art in your heart.💖


P.S.   I haven't started a new quilt for at least a week.😉


 

Comments

  1. How many quilts have you started?
    How many have you finished?
    Love seeing your quilts come together

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m a secret admirer of yours. I think your quilts are amazing and so are you. Maybe we could get together some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fell in love with Harry the Dirty Dog as an elementary school teacher. Your adaptation of the quilt pattern to blanket the doggie with flowers is inspired! Go Harry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts